Friday, August 6, 2010

Toad In The?

Thrusting my hands into a nearly finished bag of Organic Multipurpose compost, I came across a lump, which is not uncommon.

Rolling it around in my fingers, it was strangely reluctant to fall apart. Then I glanced down to find the reason.

toad, bufo bufo

It was none the worse for wear.

toad, bufo bufo

So I found it a nice niche in some roots very close to where the bag of compost was situated and made sure it got under cover.

Our Toads are the Common Toad (Bufo bufo) They all seem to be either this dark earthy colour or a deep dark brick red. Very often we get them coming into the outhouse underneath the door. Thankfully we always seem to see them before accidentally treading on them. Always welcome around as they love slug snacks and guaranteed to bring a smile to your face, strange really.

No comments:

Post a Comment